i've been whipping these hats out like crazy, they are super-cute, and super-easy. an awesome beginner project, so maybe an awesome beginner tutorial? in theory, yes. we will see.
1. measure the head of the person you are making the hat for. cut two pieces of coordinating fleece 15"x21"(head measurement).
2. sew the two pieces along the 21" length.
3. sew this into a long tube. turn the tube half way right side, so the solid is inside the print with the seams on the inside. this is when i sew on my tag.
4. sew a seam about 1.5" up from the bottom. i like to zig-zag.
5. put the hat on any child willing to hold still for two minutes. (even if it happens to be a boy child wearing a girl hat.)
6. gather the top of the hat on the top of the head (like a pony-tail) and secure with a rubber band.
7. tie a piece of 15"x1" fleece to cover the rubber band.
8. cut the top "fluff" down in 1/2" to 1" strips. do both layers, one at a time.
9. sew a cute button if you want. and you're done!